Mar 6, 2008

The Skinny BLT

So I am motivated to lose weight. Me and Cory joined an awesome gym (personal TV on every machine, they know how to keep me motivated!). Now that he actually has time, we are going to go work out every night. The funnest part is the basketball court. Basketball is the greatest sport ever invented (betcha didn't know), and its a good work out too. My forearms are actually tired from shooting which is kind of sad. Cory says thats because I was shooting correctly - he thought he was really cool educating me on how to put a nice spin on the ball.

My problem though, with losing weight, is that I really like to eat (um, obviously...haha). So, I need to get serious about making low fat meals. This is one of my favorites - it is actually a low fat version of my all time favorite sandwich - the BLT. I make it with turkey bacon and light basil mayonnaise. Its perfect on a warm day with some fruit salad and lemonade.

The Skinny BLT

Good whole grain bread (I use fresh baked 7 grain) (um, not baked by me), toasted
A few tablespoons light or fat free mayonnaise
a handful fresh Basil
Organic baby greens
One or two large vine ripened tomatoes, sliced
One package turkey bacon (I use about 6 slices per sandwich, so one package has enough for about 3 sandwiches).
Coarse ground black pepper
balsamic vinegar
salt


Heat a large skillet or frying pan on medium high heat. Cut the bacon slices in half and place in skillet. Coarsly grind a good amount of black pepper over the top of the bacon. Cook the bacon until nice and crispy - make sure and flip. The pepper will cook into the bacon.

Meanwhile, pour a couple teaspoons balsamic vinegar over the sliced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Let the tomatoes marinate while bacon finishes cooking.

In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise with the fresh basil (I recommend coarsely chopping the basil first).

Once bacon finishes cooking, build the sandwich. Spread the basil-mayonnaise on one slice of the toasted bread. On the other side, stack the marinated tomatoes (I put 3 slices per sandwich), the bacon, and then top with a handful of the baby greens. Season with a bit more fresh coarsely ground pepper and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment